Students in Transition
/ Categories: Programs

Students in Transition

Students In Transition

The federal McKinney-Vento Act, Evergreen Public Schools support students who find themselves in housing situations that are short-term, temporary and transitional and students who have become homeless.


Any child or youth, including unaccompanied youth, who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence is considered homeless and McKinney-Vento eligible for assistance and services. This includes children and youth who are temporarily sharing housing with others due to economic hardship, those who are living in motels, campgrounds, emergency shelters, cars, or other similar settings, and those in transitional housing programs.


Students in Transition              District Liaison

Michelle Mitchell
13501 NE 28th St.
PO Box 8910
Vancouver, WA 98668-8910




Students in Transition              District Liaison

Casey Williams
13501 NE 28th St.
PO Box 8910
Vancouver, WA 98668-8910




To remove barriers to education and to provide educational stability and support students in transition are entitled to

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.

If you are in an unstable housing situation, please contact your school counselor or FCRC coordinator. We will work with you to keep your child in their home school, if at all possible, or connect you with another district if needed.

You may also contact Michelle Mitchell or Casey Williams, the District Liaisons for Students in Transition at (360) 604-4045 or        or (360) 604-4173 or or Katie Greer, SIT support clerk at (360) 604-4174. 

The number for the Clark County Emergency Shelter Hotline is (360) 695-9677. For other resources go to Council for the Homeless or to


Summary Links
School District Resources

Trees and Mountains
13501 NE 28th Street  |  P.O. Box 8910  |  Vancouver, WA 98668
Phone (360) 604-4000  |  Fax (360) 892-5307  |  Office Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm   |  District Non-Discrimination Statement  |  Website Feedback
Copyright 2018 by Evergreen Public Schools Terms Of Use Privacy Statement