Labor Relations

Evergreen Public Schools has established this page to keep the community informed on collective bargaining with district employees who are represented by labor unions. The Evergreen Education Association (EEA) represents teachers, coaches and other certificated positions; the Public School Employees - Office Clerical (PSE-OC) represents secretaries; the Public School Employees - Large Group (PSE) represents other classified positions including bus drivers, cooks, custodians, paraeducators, and technology support staff; and, the Evergreen Administrators' Association (EAA) represents employees in school administrative positions.

Information on this page provides an archive on the bargaining teams’ efforts to date to reach agreement on the renewal of union contracts:

The current EEA bargaining agreement runs through August 31, 2019.

The current PSE-OC bargaining agreement runs through August 31, 2019.

The current PSE-LG bargaining agreement runs through August 31, 2019.

The current EAA bargaining agreement runs through June 30, 2021.


Responsive image
  Responsive image

August 15, 2018
The district presented EEA Leadership with the following documents:


August 14, 2018
EEA Leadership Responds to District Request.


August 8, 2018
EEA leadership responds to to District’s Future Bargaining Process proposal.


August 7, 2018
District presents expenditure and comparison information.


July 19, 2018
EEA leadership presents contract proposal.
District issues position and requests for response from EEA leadership


June 12, 2018
Meeting cancelled by EEA leadership.


June 11, 2018
District issues response to EEA contract proposal.
District Bargaining Team and EEA leadership meet for 90 minutes. EEA leadership ends meeting.


June 7, 2018
District Bargaining Team and EEA leadership meet for 90 minutes. EEA leadership presents district with a contract proposal. Both sides agree to end meeting.


May 24, 2018
The district responds to EEA leadership's request to bargain. EPS response letter


May 15, 2018
EEA leadership sends 'request to bargain' letter to district administration. EEA letter


Frequently Asked Questions

Submit your questions using the form at the top of this page.

Q. How does Evergreen's salary schedule compare to other districts throughout the state?

A. CLICK HERE to view a comparison (with figures from the WEA website) of Evergreen’s current salary schedule with other districts.

Q. The "Joint Agreement" (8.8.18) indicates that EPS and EEA agree to a review by PERC while the EEA Leadership response (8.8.18) states that they do not agree to PERC being involved. Why the apparent conflict in the two statements?

A. The “Joint Agreement” was proposed by the District and not accepted by EEA Leadership. The link to the document has been corrected to indicate that it was only a proposal by one side and not an agreement by both parties.

Q.  As you know, the EEA is considering a strike vote over salary negotiations. A few questions that maybe you can answer:

  1. Legally can teachers strike since we are mid-contract?
  2. Would teachers be in breach of contract since we technically are under contract?
  3. What are the consequences of breaking contract?

A.  Here are answers to the three parts of the question:

  1. Teacher strikes are not legal in the state of Washington under any condition.  However, the law does not specify consequences.  This is why districts often file for a court ordered injunction to direct teachers to return to work. 
  2. Since we have an existing contract, a strike would not only be illegal but also probably constitute an unfair labor practice by the association.  An unfair labor practice would fall under the Public Employee Relations Commission’s (PERC) jurisdiction.  The district believes the current contract is valid and has already requested the association leadership agree to submit a clarification request to PERC in lieu of a strike vote.
  3. If there is a strike, technically teachers would be in violation of both the District-EEA contract and their personal contract with the district.  The district could then choose to exercise a legal right to terminate employment of striking teachers.  However, that has not happened before and is extremely unlikely as it would be near impossible to serve our students following the strike.

Q. Is education supported by voters equally throughout the state?

A. The League of Education Voters Foundation recently release an independent overview of voter support across the state. You can see the interactive map here.

Q. What do raises look like for classified staff?

A. Evergreen’s two classified employee contracts (Office Clerical and PSE Large Group) both are three-year contracts that don’t expire until 2019.  The district will be implementing the previously negotiated amounts in addition to the state identified inflationary adjustment of 1.9%.

  • Office Clerical will receive 3.0% plus the 1.9% inflationary adjustment for a total of 4.9%.
  • PSE Large Group will receive 3.2% plus the 1.9% inflationary adjustment for a total of 5.1%.
  • Non-Represented classified employees will receive the 3.1% maximum increase as limited by ESSB.

Q.  I'm confused about why the link to 2018-2019 Teacher Salary Schedule is different than the first section of the next attachment, "Current Contract 2018-19 Total Compensation..." It looks like the first grid in the second link should match up with the 2018-2019 Teacher Salary Schedule, but it doesn't.

A.  The table in the 2018-19 Teacher Salary Schedule shows only the inflation adjusted salary amount without any Time, Responsibility and Incentive (TRI) pay.  The top number in each cell shows the total amount of salary paid for each person at that step/column (# of people times salary).  It was presented to show the cost of the existing contract increase from the 2nd year (2017-18 @ $125.6) to the 3rd year (2018-19 @ $133.9).  An increase of $8.3M

The document titled Current Contract 2018-19 Total Compensation Combined Salary Schedule provides a view of the current contract using the Association Leadership’s proposed new TRI percentage (10.8%), acknowledging the rest of the current TRI (16.75%) as part of basic education salary.  The top table is the current contract’s “Basic Education” salary.  The second table is the additional 10.8% remaining TRI.  The third table combines the “Basic Education” salary, with TRI (10.8%) and also moves the current teachers professional fund ($1,500 per year) into salary per the Association Leadership’s proposal to create an accurate comparison of total compensation.

Q.  Where is the regionalization money going?

A.  Along with the increased salary allocation from the state for all employee categories, the 6% additional regionalization funding is being applied to existing salaries starting next year.  It is helping cover the previously agreed to increases for the 2018-19 school year as well as replace the salary portions previously covered by the local levy as the local levy is reduced.  

green tree and Mt. St. Helens silhouette

13501 NE 28th Street  |  P.O. Box 8910  |  Vancouver, WA 98668

Phone (360) 604-4000  |  Fax (360) 892-5307  |  Office Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Copyright 2018 by Evergreen Public Schools | Nondiscrimination Statement | Effective Communication Request Form |  Terms Of Use |  Privacy Statement | Website Feedback

Copyright 2018 by Evergreen Public Schools Terms Of Use Privacy Statement